Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

I picked this up last year, not long after reading the Twilight series, and promptly put it down a few pages later, thinking "I don't think I can bear another teen romance." At the urging of friends and seeing some reviews, I just picked it up again, devouring it in just a few days. In this future world, the U.S. has become Panem, a place dominated by the Capitol, surrounded by 12 districts in service to this powerful Capitol. Children aged 12-18 are required in these districts to submit their names in The Hunger Games lottery, a to-the-death competition held as atonement by the Districts and a show of power by the Capitol for an uprising that occured 74 years before. This was riveting enough reading that my family had to endure sandwiches for a few nights for dinner... -Lavelle G.

No comments:

Post a Comment